Saturday, April 24, 2010

Baxter Enchiladas


Some of my earliest childhood memories included having enchiladas for dinner. I remember my mom telling me that this is how she was taught to make enchiladas while she stayed in Mexico one summer in the 60's. Instead of rolling the tortillas, you cook them in the sauce and then stack them like pancakes (and also top it with a fried egg, though we don't do this, but we think it would be good). The first time I had the more typical, rolled type of enchilada, I didn't know what it was, and I was surprised to hear it called an enchilada. When I went to college, this dish was labeled "Baxter Enchiladas" by my cousin and classmate Jeralee, and the name stuck. Later I adapted it to be vegetarian. I'm sure it will continue to get better and better with time. Here's the latest version:

One pot of vegetarian chili
15-20 corn tortillas
toppings of choice

Baxter Enchilidas are best assembled for each person, immediately before serving. Ask each person how many tortillas he/she wants. I usually go for 3 tortillas, and Mark will ask for 4-5, depending on his appetite.

With the pot of chili boiling away, put the first tortilla in the pot, being sure it is fully submersed. Add more tortillas, submersing each one as you go. Try to do this step quickly, so the tortillas are evenly cooked. Usually 4 is the maximum number that can be cooked together easily. Once all the tortillas are in the pot, let it cook for about 30 seconds.



Then, with a big, wide spoon, reach under the bottom tortilla and pick up the entire stack and set it on a plate. Spoon chili over the stack of tortillas, and top with desired toppings (cheese, green onion, sour cream, olives, avocado, etc.). Alternatively, take out each tortilla one at a time, and layer it with cheese and other toppings as you go.

With leftover chili and enchiladas, you can make what I call "enchilada goup." Heat the chili to boiling, and then tear up the remaining enchiladas into small to medium size pieces. Dump the enchilada pieces into the chili and stir. Cook for a few minutes, then remove from heat, and cover for 5 minutes. Top with desired toppings.

We seriously missed this dish when we were in France because we couldn't find the right kind of corn tortillas. It will always be one of my comfort foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment